Wednesday, July 11, 2007

How convenient!

I'm surprised when my students say large words like 'convenient' instead of 'easy' or 'difficult' instead of 'hard.' They may not even know the meaning of shorter words like easy or hard, but they will automatically recognize convenient.

When things are going well or something happens to one's favor they usually describe it as being convenient. For example: "I forgot my umbrella today! Well, it turned out ok because it didn't rain. How convenient!"

Let's take a look at all the convenient things in Japan!

Convenient hamburger vending machines! No time to get to McDonalds? No worries. Just stop by this hamburger vending machine and wait one minute for it to be heated and voila! hamburger to go. I have eaten such hamburgers and they actually aren't too bad!



Convenient noodle bowl vending machines. Complete with a hot water spicket for on the spot cuisine.



Cold outside waiting for a train? Try one of these convenient hot/cold vending machines! The red labels indicate hot beverages, the blue labels indicate cold. Also sold are cups of soup.



How about the necessities of life? Don't worry, there's a vending machine for that too. Behold the ice cream vending machine...



...and the beer vending machine! No ID needed.



There is no end to the vending machine parade. According to Wikipedia Japan has the highest vending machines per capita, about 1 machine for every 23 people. Other vending machines I have seen in Japan: popcorn, cigarettes, fried chicken, french fries, magazines, batteries, rice, and in some restaurants there are even vending machines that print your order that you then submit to the food counter. In the hospital I had to use a vending machine to pay for pre-paid TV cards.

Ok people, say it with me:
How convenient!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey you!

You should call me! Lots of stories!
If I send a bday card on Monday, it should get there before you leave right?

love you, hugs to you both!
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Yet another inisght state-bound people would miss without your convenient blog! Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Fried chicken vending machine? Now that's convenient! I can't tell you how many times I've been walking down the street and thought to myself, "Boy, I could really go for some vending machine chicken right about now". I guess I'm just living in the wrong part of the world.